What is Infertility and How it is Treated
Being infertile is one of the saddest things a couple can go through in their lifetime. Without proper tests and analysis, one cannot always say for sure the reason behind a couple’s infertility issues. Women who undergo frequent miscarriages may also be deemed infertile. Infertility may be due to trauma, absent sperm count, injury, alcohol use, or certain conditions such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis, autoimmune diseases, cancers, hormonal disorders, and genetic disorders.
Lifeway Med center’s Infertility clinic in Sharjah uses both partners’ backgrounds and may perform such tests as sperm analyses, ovulation tests, ultrasound, hysterosalpingography, or laparoscopy.
What Causes Infertility
• Endometriosis: During the reproductive years, endometriosis affects most women and may contribute to infertility. It can cause infertility and pelvic pain. A woman who has a family history of the disease may be at risk for developing it. The uterine lining tissue grows outside the uterus in endometriosis and can damage the ovaries and Fallopian tubes.
• Smoking & Tobacco Consumption: Smoking can cause male and female infertility. Nicotine has been shown in laboratory animals to obstruct sperm production and decrease the size of a man’s testicles. Tobacco affects the cervical mucus in females, thereby affecting the way sperm enters the egg.
• Exercise: Too much exercise is dangerous. Especially for runners on long distances. It can cause disruption of the ovulation cycle for women, cause no menstrual periods, or lead to miscarriages. Excessive exercise can cause a low sperm count in men.
Different Types of Infertility Treatments
• Operation: If the cause is a varicocele (widening of the veins in the scrotum) or a blockage in the vas deferens (sperm-carrying tubes).
• Antibiotics: Used to treat reproductive organ infections.
• Medications: To treat erection or ejaculation issues.
• Fertility medicines: To help women ovulate or restore hormone levels
• Surgery: To remove fertility-blocking tissues (such as endometriosis) or to open blocked Fallopian tubes.
Lifeway Med Center infertility clinic in Sharjah has expert obstetrician-gynecologist with advanced endocrinology education, research, and professional competencies who provides complete infertility guidance.